Psensor is a graphical hardware temperature monitor for Linux.
It can monitor:
- the temperature of the motherboard and CPU sensors (using lm-sensors).
- the temperature of the NVidia GPUs (using XNVCtrl).
- the temperature of ATI/AMD GPUs (requires compilation using libatiadlxx, support not enabled in Ubuntu PPAs).
- the temperature of the Hard Disk Drives (using hddtemp or libatasmart).
- the rotation speed of the fans (using lm-sensors).
- the CPU usage (since 0.6.2.10 and using Gtop2).
The version 0.5.1 introduces hot temperature alerts using desktop notification and Application Indicator.
The application is designed to be simple and easy to use. The CPU and memory consumption are not significant.
The last stable version is 0.7.0.5.
The last development version is 0.8.0.1.
Psensor is released under GPLv2 license terms.
First step is to install lm-sensors, for Ubuntu:
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
Then, starts the detection of your hardware sensors:
Verify that it works:
It should display something like:
coretemp-isa-0000 Adapter: ISA adapter Core 0: +46.0C (high = +76.0C, crit = +100.0C) coretemp-isa-0001 Adapter: ISA adapter Core 1: +44.0C (high = +76.0C, crit = +100.0C) ...
Then you can proceed to the installation of psensor. For Ubuntu and derivatives, you should look at the Ubuntu support page.
And finally launch
More information are available in the Psensor FAQ.
Binary packages of Psensor are available for few Linux distributions:
- Psensor PPA for Ubuntu
- Psensor is in the official universe repository of Ubuntu since version 11.10 (Oneiric)
- Psensor packages for Debian (available in the unstable and testing repositories)
- Binary RPM package for OpenSuse: thanks to djs_core for the packaging.
- Package for ArchLinux
- Psensor v0.2.6 is installed by default in PartedMagic since version 5.0.
Linux Distribution Support
Psensor should compile on any modern distribution.
If you have trouble compiling Psensor on a specific Linux distribution, don’t hesitate to report it.
The list of Linux Distribution which is known to be supported:
- Debian 5.0.6 Lenny and 6 Squeeze
- Fedora 13
- Mandriva 2010.1
- OpenSuse 11.2 and 11.3
- Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10
- PartedMagic v5.0-5.7: Psensor v0.2.6
- PartedMagic v5.8: Psensor v0.4.4
The Google Group psensor-users can be used for discussion, questions and bug report.
For announces or general information subscribe to Psensor Google+ page.
Alternatively, you can contact me by e-mail: email@example.com.